Saturday, January 3, 2009

Record Snow and the View Out My Window

It's snowing again. Moving snow has become an almost daily chore here in Fargo this winter. It's getting so we're not sure where we are going to put it! December ended up being the snowiest month on record in our area with 30.5 inches falling in December which broke an 81-year-old record. By the time we are done with today's snow we will most likely be up to 35 or 40 inches. And the thing about snow in North Dakota which is different than most of the country is that when we get snow there is no melting until Spring. So it just piles up, and piles up, and piles up.


Here is the view out my window today:




No, the nice trees are not a permanent part of our landscape, although they look like it don't they? Every year I put our Christmas tree (and any others I can abscond from the boulevard before they are chopped up for compost) in our backyard by the birdfeeders as shelter for the birds. I love how it looks and it extends the use of the trees by several months. Then we chop them up and add them to our woodpile. Now that is making good use of our natural resources I would say.

This picture is one I took the other day. I decided I wasn't going to fight the squirrels, but I think we're making it just a little bit too easy for them, don't you? If the snow keeps up I'm going to have to figure out a different way to hang my bird feeders!

No comments: